Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Mosque


I am so glad to live in America and have freedom of religion - freedom of speech and all the other perks I receive for living in a FREE society. I have no thoughts of hopping in a 17 foot boat with 30 other people and traveling the rough seas to freedom. I have it right here.

I do not live in a shack or cardboard structure and find my food in the trash bins. My drinking water is not contaminated. Even if I were homeless I could stand on the street corner with my cardboard sign and beg for money or shop at the local food bank. Here there is opportunity waiting for me.

I am thankful I can go to a church of my choosing and profess my specific religion or profess my lack of religion. I can practice witchcraft and not be burnt at the stake. I can drink beer on Sunday morning instead of attending a local religious establishment or spend all day Sunday praying or singing. I have so many choices.

The Mosque near ground zero is perhaps insensitive but not a terrorist act. It is a religious freedom that we all share. Teaching tolerance should be taught in all schools along with respect and community involvement.

Those famous words - "Why can't we all just get along."

We are a selfish, greedy and inflexible group of people at times. I am thankful for the freedom that I have in this country and the people who help keep that freedom safe for all of us. If you take away my religious freedom what do I have left?

No comments: