Thursday, February 7, 2008

OLA

I watch the mystery of teenage love and life unfold or collapse right in front of me. I feel like an alien who has been dropped from another planet and I am learning strange and new practices. Things make little or no sense to me at all. Teen priorities are somewhat different than mine. Their thought process is steam rolling over the plains and only stops to send a text message. Converstaions are half baked, wars are fought and won, friendships are flattered and flattened, love is without consequences or connections. The fingers move at sonic speed while the lips give service to minor problems. Instant gratification is a necessity.

Was this me so many years ago? Looking back I saw myself as very mature with my head on the correct way and my goals listed in a sensible order. Life was slower then. Now, I feel like i'm on a roller coaster ride and I get violently ill on fast rides. I remember a few years ago getting sick from riding the merry-go-round. Today my life spins like a Maytag washer. Silent but fast.

I'm hoping they find their way, reach their goals and surpass their desires and on occasion CLEAN their room. I see the glint of surprise and happiness shine through at unexpected times.

I would like to share a quote I picked up somewhere along the trail - the author is unknown to me but I thank him/her for these words.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

No comments: