Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How to kill a cat

Martha is a 6 year old (plump) tortie and I love her dearly. Or I did till last night. She has her own 'doggie door' in the garage. Does she choose to use it? No! She prefers to scratch at the screen to the sliding glass door in my bedroom. At hourly intervals. First she wants out - then she wants back in. I'm sleep deprived.

I spent $100.00 bucks for the dumb dog door - use it. Is it insulting because it's a dog door and not the more expensive kitty door? Get over it. Get out. Use the darn door and let me sleep through the night.

I tried ignoring her whines and caterwauling but it's the scratching at the screen that is unacceptable. I could close the sliding door but then I would not have my gentle ocean breeze to soothe me. One time I shut the lanai door and the fool climbed on top of the lanai right by my bedroom door and began her pathetic whine. Replacing a screen in a patio door is not a difficult job but replacing the screening on the lanai roof requires an expert.

So now I'm awake and old puss tired from her midnight rompings is fast asleep on the couch. I could put a throw pillow over her face and deny her oxygen. I could terrorize her with the fake stuff mouse or refuse to put fresh food in her bowl.

Tonight for wanting sleep I may sleep in the guest bedroom - that will fix her. And that is an alternative to killing her. Why does she insist on me catering to all her needs? She isn't even a lap cat and doesn't like to be petted. It's all about her! I just need some sleep. I wonder if Excedrim PM works on cats?

No comments: