Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Eve

It was New Year's Eve and we were celebrating. I was drinking my usual - water. It scares me to think what would happen to me if I did drink alcohol. So here we sit on the upperdeck at the

Whiskey Rose Bar (I think) on Duval Street in Key West. Friends having a good time enjoying the old year and looking forward to what the new year will bring us. I'm sipping my water everyone else is on their third drink (alcohol). None of us were driving vehicles. In Key West on foot or bike is the best way.



So i'm leaning over the edge of the railing and off goes my flip flop, gets kicked into the road and this HUGE truck rolls quietly over my flip flop. I yell for someone to save my flip flop. No one hears my cries. The party mood is prevalent on the streets and no one notices the squashed lonely flip flop. I hop down the long winding wooden (yes splinters) stairs and run into the street. Well, actually it was too crowded to run into the street. I felt like a sardine in a too small greasy tin.



I searched the street for my lonely flip flop but it had disappeared with the rolling crowd. I hobbled back upstairs and took a wrong turn and ended on the third level. My cell phone rings and I answer it. I realize much too late that I have ended up on the clothing optional deck. Some old hag that should be covered to protect society screams at me about not having a cell phone on the third level. Like I would take a picture of her! So I hurry back down to the next level and search for my friends. They didn't even know I was gone.



So I stand there with one flip flop on and one bare foot feeling foolish. I peer over the railing and see some tanned young stud riding a skateboard barefooted. So I think to myself if he can ride a skateboard shoeless I can ride my bike minus one flip flop.



My bike pedal was made of metal with ridges. Recipe for disaster - barefoot, metal pedal, hot Key West day. Off I go on my bike rental. Scratches on the bike are added to your credit card. Always careful, always considerate I stop for the pedestrian who walked right in front of me. The Cafe Ragu sign saved my life. It didn't look very pretty with me and the bike dumped on top of it. Somewhere along the way my remaining flip flop went AWOL.



I hobble to a store to purchase new over priced flip flops to pedal my bike with the now bent frame. I wonder if the rental place will not notice the bent bike frame? Should have taken out that insurance for $29.99.

No comments: