Monday, November 24, 2008

Holiday Cheer


The news is still filled with doom and gloom over the economy and the state of the country. Everywhere one looks there is depression and darkness. The holidays are fast approaching and so are the festivities. I read the paper overflowing with bad news. I turn on the television with more bad news about the economy, retailers, unemployment, sluggish sales and home foreclosures. I listen to the radio and hear about seniors not being able to afford their medicine. I'm feeling that pinch right now as my health insurance refused to pay for a new medication prescribed by my doctor. I told my doctor give me something else or I go without.

The holiday parties and festivities are starting. Get dressed up, pay $50.00 per person to attend and bring a $10.00 gift. A silly gift that will most likely be regifted or packed in the closet. Eat and drink too much at the party. So, I have decided to forgo all the holiday parties, buying useless gifts, spending too much money and ending up with high blood pressure and clothes that no longer fit correctly.

I heard positive news the other day on the television and the light bulb went off. Take that money that you normally spend on parties and frivolous stuff and give to a charity. A food bank, toys for tots, a women's shelter, a soup kitchen, the list goes on and on. The rainbow is getting brighter for me and someone else. The season is giving. Spread a little cheer and joy and feel so good about it. Do you really want to attend that party?
Add a little color into someones life.


No comments: