Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Friend or Foe

Interspecies relationships - Is it a good thing? I suppose it depends on the situation and the circumstances.

This past May I received two box turtles. They were ripped from a home that they had known and loved forever and placed with me - this wack person who doesn't know a whole lot about box turtles. The school program they were associated with was closing and Thing 1 and Thing 2 needed a new home and that's how they came to be a part of my menagerie.

They seemed very shy and timid and hung out beneath the bird of paradise bush. Interaction with people was at a minimun. They were adjusting to the new environment. I accepted them for what they were - hermits.

While we were on vacation a very concerned neighbor found a turtle wandering around the cul-de-sac and assumed it belonged to me. He was promptly placed in my turtle pond. I was in for a bit of a shock when I returned home and found this creature living in my pond. As far as I can tell he may be a Mississippi Mud turtle?

He was not happy living in the turtle ponds with my 6 water turtles. He escaped into the box turtle habitat and became very friendly with Thing 1 and Thing 2. All of a sudden the box turtles came out of hiding and have been showing their faces. Strange and bizarre. I am glad they are enjoying their new home and getting to know us. I'm not sure if they like the intrusion of this new turtle and are trying to chase him away or they really like the guy? They are active and I imagine that is a good thing.

I think the Mud turtle is a little confused and taking unfair advantage of the box turtles and the climbing over them is a sign of power or a sign that he needs a mate of his own kind. I'm not sure what to do with this new guys and the boxies are not talking.

No comments: