Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hey - Hay


Winter is closing in upon Florida. It's cold. I retrieved my spring jacket and gloves from storage. I even put on a pair of sweatpants. The one and only pair I own. I can feel the coldness in the air. My thoughts wandered to my box turtles. The koi have taken refuge at the bottom of the pond and the water turtles are hiding under their overhang. All the critters including myself can feel the seasons changing.

I decided to place some hay in the box turtle enclosure so they can snuggle up and keep warm during the cold Florida winter, I trotted down to the Tractor Supply Store to purchase my hay. The last time I bought a bale of hay was a long time ago so I had sticker shock at the price of one bale of hay. I know all about inflation but this is unbelievable.

I used to buy my hay - one bale at a time - from a local farmer and it was a dollar a bale. At times I thought this was a little pricey. It's hard to price shop for a bale of hay.

My precious bale of hay was almost 7 dollars for one small bale. What? Is there gold in them there bales? Where is Rumpelstiltskin? The nice lady at the register informed me it was Coastal Hay. AND!!!!! Does coastal hay cost more than good old regular hay? Apparently so.

And I thought hay was hay. Come to think about it coastal hay is most likely absorbed salt from the coastal waters and could possibly be filled with a high sodium content. No nutrient labels on my bale of coastal hay. I hope the coastal hay doesn't adversely effect my little box turtles.

No comments: