Sunday, October 26, 2008

D.R.I.T.S

My new word for the year - D.R.I.T.S. The meaning is similar to G.R.I.T.S - girls raised in the south. D.R.I.T.S. means dogs raised in the South.
We all know what it means to be a GRITS. Ms. Southern Belle, proper (sometimes) full of energy, life and persistent passion one of which is supposed to include eating your grits. With butter or without.
I am a G.R.I.T.S but I HATE grits. They are disgusting - with butter or without. Most of the time I can't even stand to look at the bowl of mush much less eat it. So much for my southern heritage.
So D.R.I.T.S came to me this weekend when I fed it to the dog. I put it in this cute little take out dish - I forget to bring him enough dog food on our weekend outing. So the grits came with breakfast and I asked for it in a to-go doggie box. And it really was for a doggie.
I opened the wonderful dish right in front of his sniffing snout and placed it on the ground. He kicked it over with his paw and walked away. Now, what can I do with this mound of grits without butter piled high in the grass?
I left it there in the grass and dirt to marinate and before too long the silly D.R.I.T.S ate it - dirt and all. It must have had the correct flavoring after being dumped in dirt. So now, he has become D.R.I.T.S.

No comments: