Thursday, May 15, 2008

Make Way For Ducklings

An update on the ducklings from the local pond. Yesterday I went down to the pond to feed the ducks and the turtles. As soon as I walked near the pond four little ducklings came waddling toward me - quacking up a storm. It's like they were telling me the latest gossip. They have grown and there fluffy down is getting darker.
Three were coming at me at high speed and the fourth was lagging behind. The last one seemed lost and alone and in a world of his own. He was not being a team member. I tossed them some food and their cackling grew louder.
Mom was no where to be seen. The little duckies were on their own - fending for themselves. Life in the suburbs for wildlife is cruel and harsh. Where is mom? Where did the rest of the babies disappear? Do I really want to know? Probably not. I wonder how many ducklings will survive? I wonder if they are old enough to survive on their own?
I remember the book - 'Make Way For Ducklings', that I read so many times to my children. It touches my heart to know I am living the book - somewhat.

No comments: