Saturday, December 15, 2007

Luminaries

It hasn’t rained in my area of Florida for over a month. The grass is brown the flowers are all shriveled. I don’t water because it’s too expensive. So I thought I would add color for the holidays. During my Candlelight walking home tour I noticed everyone had really cute luminaries. They were bright and when lit very colorful.

I purchased the plain white bags, the expensive ones. The brown bags are just not acceptable. I poured in the fresh kitty litter and placed a vanilla scented tea lite inside. I chose vanilla for the fragrance and they cost more. I lined my walkway and my driveway. They looked elegant. My plan was to light them for the first time on Friday evening when we returned from a party.
We have finally broken the – no rain – record. The downpour began just as we were leaving the party to drive home. Since we live an hour away I was sure it was not raining at my house. Wrong!!!
I stepped out of the car to see my precious luminaries. Clumps of white fiber lay scattered along my walks and driveway. Kitty litter flowed along the edge of the grass while an army of little silver cups huddled by the mailbox. Little round dollops of wax stamped with tire tracks adorned the curve of the cul de sac.
My grass was a bit greener and it sure smelled like vanilla. The luminary project is one of many holiday memories I will cherish.

No comments: