Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Green and Guilt

Last week I had to rent a car to travel across the state for a seminar. It was one of those green ones. No, not the color of the car but the new buzz word – green -, it means environmentally conscious. The reason I rented a vehicle was because my gas-guzzling mammoth SUV is permanently parked in my two car garage.

The last time I took her for a spin I received numerous evil looks from others. So intimidation worked quite well on me. I felt guilty for driving my gas-guzzling bus. I should not have to feel this way. I earned the money to buy this behemoth and I work hard to get a weekly paycheck to pay for the gas. So why should these holier than thou freaks give me a rough time? Anyway, I buckled and parked her.

So she sits in my two car garage gathering dust. In the here and now I am riding my bike to work. Now, that is being GREEN. Although on cool mornings my bike is covered with dew. My bike is parked outside because there is no room in the garage. My deed restricted neighborhood does not allow any out buildings in one’s yard. It seems like they are against me being GREEN.

Another possible reason she is parked inside this two car space could be the fact that I have lost the garage door opener. When I parked her in the garage it was so tight that I had to climb out of the sunroof. I believe they are now called a moon roof or a sky roof. I really wish they wouldn’t change terms like that without letting me know. I like things to stay the same, like names of objects, where to leave the remotes and the low gas prices. Sameness makes me feel secure in my confusing world of fantasy.

So she almost touches the walls inside the garage so I can’t even reach the garage door button on the inside wall. Getting her out I will probably need an engineer or at least one of those home organizer’s that have their own T.V. shows. So at this point I believe I must be adding to the green of the world by not using my gas-guzzling lovely SUV. I see others on the roads driving their beast of burdens and they don’t seem guilty. Why do I?

No comments: